Historic Home in Landmark Location
Rarely does an opportunity like this present itself in such a central location. Occupying 4388sqm of prime real estate in the heart of Launceston on the lower part of Windmill Hill, including a 1st title of 3214sqm of house and garden and a 2nd title of 1174sqm of additional garden, 22 York St has been a significant part of the Launceston streetscape dating back to the 1850s. Whether you are looking for a residence of distinction, a prominent location for business or a fantastic development opportunity, this property is worth inspecting.
Impressive sweeping views to the north across Launceston CBD and the Tamar River enhance this property which has been a cherished home in the same family for over the last 100 years. The house has evolved since it was first built in the 1850s with several extensions and major redesigns including the last significant alterations done in the 1950’s, which has resulted in the substantial 613sqm home that it is today. Versatile in its layout and usage, the current floorplan is over 3 levels and includes beautiful and elegant reception rooms, 6 bedrooms serviced by 5 bathrooms and powder room, 2 offices, a main kitchen plus 2 kitchenettes, 2 studios nearby together with 2 other separate buildings in the garden. The home has generously proportioned spaces and high ceilings, beautiful staircases, marble fireplaces, wall and ceiling timber panelling. It is the scale of this home that will impress.
Many special events have been held at the home and enjoyed by family and guests alike, taking full advantage of the varied entertaining spaces that include a front hall, sitting room, large library, family room, formal dining room and a magnificent music room with outdoor verandah nearby.
From all that the house offers to the terraced gardens with mature trees and shrubs and advanced conifers, tennis court and pavilion, and croquet lawn, it is a special house and garden. This idyllic setting has been a magical place for the family for four generations.
Sitting on 4388sqm over 2 titles, there are opportunities for development especially as the 2nd title is considered one of Launceston’s last remaining vacant blocks, with potential scope and uninterrupted views. As the property is zoned inner residential any development would be subject to STCA approval. Whether this property continues as a family home or is developed in some other way, it will always remain a valuable part of Launceston’s history.
The two (2) titles comprising 22 York St are being offered for sale at the same time as the adjoining 17a Brisbane St, Launceston. Both properties are owned by the same family and are available for sale individually or as a group. Expressions of interest close on Wednesday 5th October at 5pm. A full prospectus will be available on request. Inspections strictly by prior appointment
22 York St at a glance:
• Built initially in the 1850s and expanded and redesigned over 100 years
• Held by the current family for over 100 years
• Substantial 613sqm home of distinction set over 3 levels
• Sweeping north facing views over Launceston CBD and the Tamar River
• Terraced gardens, tennis court and pavilion, and croquet lawn
• House and garden block of 3214sqm with additional garden on separate 1174sqm title
• This property is offered for sale in two titles at the same time as the adjoining 17a Brisbane St property
• Year first built: Built initially in the 1850s and expanded and redesigned over 100 years
• Land size: 4388sqm (3214sqm + 1174sqm)
• Floor size: 613sqm
• Council: Launceston City
• Heritage: Listed on the Historic Register of the Launceston City Council only, and not listed on the Tasmanian Heritage Council Register
• Zoning: Inner Residential
• Rates: Approx. $6,650 per annum
• Water: Approx. $3720 per annum (query service charge mostly)
• Land Tax: Approx. $8018 per annum (if not your principal place of residence)
Roberts Real Estate has made all reasonable efforts to obtain information regarding this property from industry and government sources that are deemed to be both reliable and factual; however, we cannot guarantee their complete accuracy in every instance. Prospective purchasers are advised to carry out their own investigations to ensure the property satisfies their suitability/usage requirements. All measurements and boundary lines are approximate.
- 6 bed
- 5 bath
- 2 Parking Spaces
- Land is 4,388 m²
- Floor Area is 613 m²
- 6 Toilet
- 2 Garage
- House House Category